Happy International Chefs Day to our favorite chefs and chefs-to-be at the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education! The theme for International Chefs Day 2020 is “Healthy Food for the Future” For a peek at recently added titles to GRCC’s culinary collection, click here. For additional resources on culinary careers, click here.
October 1st is International Coffee Day, not to be mistaken for National Coffee Day on Sept. 27!
If you missed those local Coffee Day deals, grab a cup now, and take a look at this new eBook – Robert W. Thurston’s Coffee: From Bean to Barista. Off-campus users will be prompted to logon with last name and 7-digit Raider number.
Last semester, librarians re-homed @ 4000 cookbooks with Secchia Institute for Culinary Education students and chef faculty, as well as interested foodies on campus. The books were part of a generous donation of @6000 cookbooks from the extraordinary collection of the late Robert Lippert, a career culinary educator and Michigan & National Restaurant Association speaker. Several titles that had been on the Library’s “want list” were obtained for our library collection. The remaining 2000 cookbooks were donated to the Kent District Library’s Cascade Branch for a future book sale.
As a “thank you” to the Facilities employees and student workers who did the HEAVY lifting involved in a donation of this size, we thought cake would be a great way to end the project. (OK – we think cake is a great addition for all occasions.) Another big “thank you” goes out to Chef Audrey Heckwolf , professor of Baking, Retail Bakery, & Personal/Private Chef, and Dr. Werner Absenger, Program head of the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education, for graciously providing THREE cakes for our project-ending get together. Grace Higgins, the SICE student who created the cakes is shown (above left) when the cakes were delivered this morning! Yum! Below, the smile on this library student assistant’s face was shared by all who partook. Yum!!!
The Learning Center Partners (Library & Learning Commons, Academic Support & Tutoring Services, IT Media Technologies, and Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) wish to THANK the generous donors who provided the Learning Open House Passport Prizes. The winners of those prizes are:
- $50 Visa Gift Card – winner Collin Kryger (donated by Learning Center Partners)
- $50 Visa Gift Card – winner Edith Garcia-Ramos (donated by Learning Center Partners)
- $50 Barnes & Noble Gift Card – winner Adis Hodzic (donated by Nan Schichtel)
- $25 Amazon Gift Card – winner Israa Jeddeeni (donated by Nan Schichtel)
- $25 – GRCC Bookstore Gift Card – winner Jocelyn Medina (donated by GRCC Bookstore)
- $25 — GRCC Bookstore Gift Card – winner Quentin James (donated by GRCC Bookstore)
- $24.50 – 7 days of Free Parking passes – winner Adam Staal (donated by Library & Learning Commons)
- $20 Gift Certificates – winner Kayleigh Haynes (donated by Campus Dining)
- $20 Gift Certificates – winner Lamish Stacy (donated by Campus Dining)
- $10 – Patatas or Subway Gift Cards – winner – Jean Pierre (donated by Patatas/Subway)
- $10 – Patatas or Subway Gift Cards – winner – Moral Patel (donated by Patatas/Subway)
- $10 Art & Bev’s Gift Certificates – winner Austin Borgman (donated by Secchia Institute for Culinary Education)
- $10 Art & Bev’s Gift Certificates – winner Susana Pabon Vargas (donated by Secchia Institute for Culinary Education)
Winners are asked to bring photo id (Raidercard or drivers license / state ID) to the Library Circulation Desk where they can claim their prize, unless notified otherwise.
A selection of pastry & icing centerpieces created by our marvelous culinary students.
The Library & Learning Commons is proud to show off some of the newest creations from the CA265 Pastry Centerpieces and Wedding Cake class. This Secchia Institute for Culinary Education class is taught by Professor Chef Gilles Renusson.
How else might a Library support a culinary program? Take a look at our Culinary Arts Subject Guide.
Check out the coloration detail on this chocolate beauty!
GRCC logo in fondant
Party hat suitable for a Derby Day Party!