Mindfulness meditation can reduce stress, improve attention and concentration, increase feelings of connectedness, and may strengthen the immune system and improve stress-related physical and mental health conditions. Attend any of Counseling & Career Development’s monthly meditation biweekly sessions in the Library & Learning Commons (LLC) to learn how to meditate or build on previous meditation experience. Our practice will be secular (non-religious).
Open to all GRCC students and employees. Free. No registration required. Facilitator: Emily Nisley, Ph.D., LP, LPC
Mindfulness Meditation @GRCC Library
Meditation & Prayer Room (on the 1st floor)
Every other Monday this Fall starting 9/9/19
- 9/9 – Focusing and quieting the mind with mindful breathing meditation
- 9/23 – Body awareness and relaxation with body-scan meditation
- 10/7 – Mindful eating meditation
- 10/21 – Soothing distress with self-compassion meditation
- 11/4 – Fostering feelings of connectedness through loving-kindness meditation
- 11/18 – Cultivating gratitude
- 12/2 – Mountain meditation – A guided visualization to promote calm, inner strength and stability in the midst of challenging circumstances and stress
Check out the full schedule of Mind-Body Wellness events offered by the Counseling & Career Development office.
Regular practice of mindfulness meditation can reduce stress, improve attention and concentration, increase feelings of connectedness, and may strengthen the immune system and improve stress-related physical and mental health conditions. Join us for any of our weekly mindfulness meditation sessions to learn how to meditate or build on previous meditation experience. GRCC counselor, Emily Nisley, will facilitate sessions using a variety of common mindfulness meditation exercises. Our practice will be secular; no particular religious or spiritual beliefs are required. Chairs and floor seating are available; you’re welcome to bring a mat, cushion, and/or blanket for more comfortable floor seating if desired.
Here is the Winter 2019 schedule of mediations:
- 1/21 – Loving-kindness meditation in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- 1/28 – Mindfulness of breath
- 2/4 – Eating meditation
- 2/11 – Body-scan meditation
- 2/18 – Mindfulness of breath & body
- 2/25 – RAIN meditation
- 3/4 – No session (Mid-semester break)
- 3/11 – Mindfulness of breath, body, & emotions
- 3/18 – Mountain meditation
- 3/25 – Mindfulness of breath, body, emotions, & thoughts
- 4/1 – Walking meditation
- 4/8 – Mindfulness of breath, body, emotions, & thoughts
- 4/15 – Lake meditation
- 4/22 – Earth Day Gratitude meditation
Lining Up for Exam Cram Goodies
Add Exam Cram to your Dec. 6 Thursday calendar – where FREE snacks and quiet & group study spaces abound. Special events include:
Body Scan Meditation – led by Emily Nisely 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM: the LRC LIB 1 Meditation / Prayer Room: In this guided meditation, we bring our awareness to each part of the body, sequentially and then as a whole, non-judgmentally, with opportunities to soften any tension found along the way. Many people find this produces deep physical relaxation and a sense of mental calm.
Add Exam Cram to your Dec. 5 Wednesday calendar – where FREE snacks and quiet & group study spaces abound. Special events include:
Mountain Meditation – led by Emily Nisely – 10:00 AM – 10:30 AM in the LRC LIB 1 Meditation / Prayer Room – led by Emily Nisely. This guided visualization promotes feelings of calm grounding, inner strength, and stability in the midst of challenging circumstances and stress.
Weaving Workshop – led by Jennifer Ackerman-Haywood – 11:00 AM – 2:00 in the LRC LIB Lobby. Feeling stressed about final exams? Treat yourself to a free make & take weaving workshop with Jennifer Ackerman-Haywood, host of the CraftSanity Podcast and GRCC adjunct journalism professor. Bring an open mind and good vibes. No experience necessary. Looms and yarn will be provided. See you there!
Exam Cram starts today – Monday, December 3 – with free snacks and quiet and group study spaces! Don’t miss Meditation Monday with Emily Nisely – from 12-12:30 in the LLC Meditation & Prayer Room.