In December, our Learning Center Open House included a reading-oriented community service project – collecting paperback books for readers at the Kent County Jail. We are pleased to announce that 326 books were donated! Director Brian Beecher, Serials Coordinator Nikki Nyenhuis, and Outreach Librarian Nan Schichtel delivered three skids of paperback books to the Jail on Tuesday December 19. By the end of the day, Jail GED instructor Bob Schichtel and trustees had processed the donations and they were available to eager readers. Thanks to all who donated paperbacks. They are being put to good use by many, many readers!
Tag Archives: Learning Center Open House
The Learning Center Open House, held Tuesday, Dec. 5th, was a success with over 300 attendees! Generous donors provided prizes for a drawing where attendees were encouraged to visit each building partner: Media Services; the Woodrick Center for Equity & Inclusion; Academic Support & Tutoring Services; and, the Library & Learning Commons. And the Winners Are…..
- $25 Applebee’s Gift Card – Kelly Burrows
- $25 Barnes & Noble Gift Card – Rachele Smith
- $25 Barnes & Noble Gift Card – Peyton Heisen
- $25 GRCC Bookstore Gift Card – Chakya McIntosh
- $25 GRCC Bookstore Gift Card – Bildad Azard
- $25 Lake Michigan Credit Union Gift Card – Jordan White
- $25 Lake Michigan Credit Union Gift Card – Vivian Herring
- $25 Marie Catrib’s Gift Card – Sam Cunningham
- $10 Art & Bev’s Gift Certificate – Paul Ruschmann
- $10 Art & Bev’s Gift Certificate – Jocelyn Disselkoen
- $10 GRCC Campus Dining Gift Certificate – David Anderson
- $10 GRCC Campus Dining Gift Certificate – Asha Nemec
- $10 Patatas / Subway Punch Card – Nicholas Price
- $10 Patatas / Subway Punch Card – Natari Silva
- $10 Patatas / Subway Punch Card – Chandler Michalski
- $10 Patatas / Subway Punch Card – Kyler Byker
Winners have until 1/31/2018 to claim their prizes at the Library Circulation Desk (please have photo ID), but with such great prizes, we’re sure they’ll want to do so before the holidays!
Light food, beverages, goodies, and entertainment will be offered in the Library, the Woodrick Center for Equity & Inclusion, and Media Technologies – plus – upstairs in Academic Support & Tutoring Services. Visit each space for a chance to win prizes.
Receive an extra entry for prizes if you donate items to the Learning Center Food Pantry – OR – if you donate a new or used paperback for avid readers at the Kent County Jail.
Let it Snow is the theme of the current book display on the Library & Learning Commons 1st Floor. Curated by librarian Kevin Lyons, titles in this display include the art and science behind snowflakes, as well as titles on winter sports. Take a look at the display when you visit the LLC for Exam Cram or Tuesday’s Learning Center Open House. Titles in the case *can* be checked out!
Done with your summer reads? Bring them to the GRCC Library! As a community service initiative, we are accepting donations of new and used paperback books for the men and women at the Kent County Jail. The donation box is located on the 1st floor of the Library and Learning Commons.
Thanks for your support!