The Library and Learning Commons (LLC) hours during Exam Week & Semester Break are:
- OPEN Mon. Dec. 11 – Thur. Dec. 14 7:30AM – 9:45PM
- OPEN Fri. Dec. 15 7:30AM – 5:00PM
- CLOSED WEEKENDS Dec. 16 – Jan. 7
- OPEN Mon. Dec. 18 – Fri. Dec. 22 8:00AM – 5:00PM (limited services)
- CLOSED Dec. 23 – Jan. 2
- OPEN Wed. Jan. 3 – Fri. Jan. 5 8:00AM – 5:00PM (limited services)
We re-open with regular library hours on Monday, January 8!
Since the College is closed over the Labor Day weekend, so is the Library & Learning Commons. Plan your library time accordingly:
- Thursday Aug. 31 – open 7:30 a.m. – 9:45 p.m.
- Friday Sept. 1 – open 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- CLOSED: Saturday Sept. 2 – Monday Sept. 4.
- Tuesday Sept. 5 – Reopen with Regular Library Hours at 7:30 a.m. – 9:45 p.m.
By Steevigh Cwayna
Library Acquisitions Specialist
I’ve created a playlist on the GRCC Library’s YouTube channel for students who want to know more about Christopher Columbus — who he was and why he has a federal holiday. I chose four videosthat explain his ideas and his struggle to get financing for his voyage.
The videos talk about the good and the bad; his discovering the Americas and how he treated the American Indians he met when he landed. I selected these videos to spotlight that the things we learned in grade school were not the whole story. When I viewed these clips, I was left wondering why we don’t teach our children the truth and if Columbus day should be a federal holiday. Some argue that it should not, and a few states (South Dakota, Hawaii and Alaska) do not celebrate Columbus Day at all.
If the videos have whetted your appetite, and for more information, the library has a number of materials available on Christopher Columbus.