The Learning Center Open House is next week Tuesday, November 19 – from 11:30 – 1:30. Visit each Learning Center (LRC) building partner and find out what services we offer while enjoying a moveable feast / aka FREE lunch!
- Library & Learning Commons
- Academic Support & Tutoring Services
- Media Technologies
- Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Word on the street is that we’ll have traditional and vegetarian chili, meatballs, vegetable trays with dips and hummus, fruit, sweet treats, popcorn – and beverages at each location. Get your passport stamped at all locations to be eligible for prizes!
We are so pleased that the GRCC Guitar Ensemble will be playing for us again this year; they’re great! We hope to see you Tuesday the 19th!
GRCC faculty are invited to join Distance Learning & Instructional Technologies and two Blackboard Representatives in the Learning Resource Center (Library – LRC 123) on Tuesday, October 15 to learn about the latest tools available in our learning management system. There is no registration or fee for this event. Just stop on by.
The tentative schedule is as follows:
- 10:00 – 11:00 am: Blackboard Ultra Demo
- 12:00 – 1:15 pm: 10 Things You May Not Know About Blackboard Learn
- 1:30 – 2:25 pm: Blackboard Ally
- 2:30 – 3:00 pm: Q & A Session with Blackboard
While you’re in the building, please drop into the Library to see what New Books have been added to the Library’s collections. Grab a coffee cup from the Circulation Desk and spend a few minutes in the New Books Nook!
Faculty interested in learning more about open educational resources (OER), are invited to attend an Overview of OER. Led by DLIT’s Bill Knapp & Megan Stewart, and librarian Sophia Brewer, you will be introduced to helpful resources including OpenStax, Minnesota OER Commons, Khan Academy, and more.
- Wednesday February 6, 10-11
- Thursday February 7, 2-3
The sessions will be held in 123 LRC LIB – enter that room through the Library Lobby. Register for either the Feb. 6 or Feb. 7 session on the Center for Teaching Excellence website.
See the OER Subject Guide for more information.
This is your official “heads up” about the most well-attended FREE local history event of the year! History Detectives is scheduled for:
- Saturday, January 19, 2019,
- 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
- GR Public Library – Main, 111 Library St NE
This day-long event is made up of 6 programs on local history. Come for one or all of the programs – but ARRIVE EARLY to get a seat! Presented by area historians and members of historical and cultural organizations – including our own GRCC Librarian, Sophia Ward Brewer – 2019 topics include:
- Lawrence C. Earle is Grand Rapids’ First Artist (Don Bryant)
- Undercurrent: African American Women in Turn-of-the-Twentieth Century Grand Rapids (Sophia Ward Brewer)
- What Did they Know and When Did they Know it?: Grand Rapids and the Holocaust (Rob Franciosi)
- Hot Spots in a Cool City: Evening Entertainment in Grand Rapids, 1940-1970 (M. Christine Bryon)
- Fresh Air, thrift, Exercise, and Innocent Delight: School Gardening Programs in Progressive Era Grand Rapids (Jason Otto)
- WWII: When Patriotism Was the Norm (Sandra Warren)
All events are free and open to the public. Space is limited and seating is offered first come, first served. There will be an overflow room available with simulcast video presentation. A boxed lunch is available for purchase. Email email@example.com to purchase a lunch. Take a look at the 2019 History Detective brochure, too!
77 years ago this week, the Japanese Imperial Navy attacked the US naval base at Pearl Harbor on Oahu, Hawaii. President Franklin D. Roosevelt called December 7, 1941 “a date which will live in infamy,” and Congress declared war against Japan shortly after.
Although the attack defined the times their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents lived through, the average citizen knows little about Pearl Harbor . The Library has resources to fill the void, including:
If you’re off-campus or using wireless, you may be asked to log on with your last name and 7-digit Raider number.