Mindfulness Meditation Mondays, facilitated by Counselor Emily Nisely, continue in the Learning Resource Center. This semester, there is a new – and quieter – location – Room 137 (enter off the Library Lobby) – at the usual time – 12-12:30 pm. Emily notes that “meditation can reduce stress, improve attention and concentration, increase feelings of connectedness, and may strengthen the immune system and improve stress-related physical and mental health conditions.” Learn how to meditate or build on previous meditation experience. Our practice will be non-religious, and topics vary:
- 1/20 Fostering connectedness through loving-kindness meditation in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- 2/10 Focusing & quieting the mind with mindful breathing meditation
- 2/24 Body awareness & relaxation with body-scan meditation
- 3/9 Mindful eating meditation
- 3/23 Soothing distress with self-compassion meditation
- 4/6 Meditation for cultivating gratitude
- 4/20 Lake Meditation: A guided visualization to promote stillness and calm
In celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January 20), librarian Sophia Brewer has curated a book display entitled “Before MLK there was….” Featured are images of famous African Americans with selected books on their lives and works. Come on over, grab a cup of free coffee, and take a look at the display found near the Library & Learning Commons New Books Shelving. Titles may be checked out!
The Library & Learning Commons has re-opened with regular library hours on Monday January 13. Winter Semester Hours are:
- Mon: 7:30 a.m. – 9:45 p.m.
- Tue: 7:30 a.m. – 9:45 p.m.
- Wed: 7:30 a.m. – 9:45 p.m.
- Thu: 7:30 a.m. – 9:45 p.m.
- Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Sat: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Sun: CLOSED
It’s the last week for you to select FREE cookbooks. You’ll find them on the 1st floor of GRCC’s Library & Learning Commons. The books are FREE – and we have bags and boxes to make it easy for you to take what you want!
The Library & Learning Commons Exam & Holiday Break Hours are:
- OPEN 8:00am – 5:00 pm; Monday Dec. 16 – Friday Dec. 20 (No Reference Service)
- CLOSED Weekends: until January 18
- CAMPUS CLOSED: Monday Dec. 23 – Wed. January 1
- OPEN 8:00am – 5:00 pm: January 2-3 & 6-10 (No Reference Service)
The Library will re-open with regular library hours on Monday January 13.