By Lisa M. Rabey
Systems & Web Librarian
The reasons why books are banned or challenged can span dozens of reasons, ranging from preceived sexuality, content, language, or violence. But censorship is not limited to just a book, but can also be applied to movies, music, and graphic novels.
To highlight graphic novels that have also been banned or challenged, the American Library Association and the Comic Book Defense League created lists highlighting the top accused graphic novels. GRCC library has numerous of those titles available for check-out:
- Blankets – Challenged due to adult themes and sexually explicit content.
- Fun home : a family tragicomic – Challenged due to sexually explicit content.
- Watchmen – Challenged due to graphic violence and sexual content.
- Tank Girl vol 2 and Tank Girl vol 3 – Challenged due to nudity and violence.
- In The Night Kitchen – Challenged due to nudity.
- Persepolis – Challenged due to graphic language and violence.
In addition to the above titles, GRCC library also has large selection of graphic novels available in the stacks the second floor.