This week please join GRCC for the next speaker in the Diversity Lecture Series, Naomi Wolf, who will be appearing at the Fountain Street Church on March 14, 2012. Wolf is the author of seven books, including the New York Times best seller The Beauty Myth.
Wolf focuses on gender equality, body image, pervasive inequities in society and politics, and the defense of liberty in America and internationally. In Give Me Liberty: A Handbook for American Revolutionaries, Wolf argues that breathtaking changes take place when ordinary citizens engage in the democratic system the way the founders intended, through civic engagement.
She is co-founder of The Woodhull Institute for Ethical Leadership, an organization that teaches leadership to young women, and The American Freedom Campaign, a grass roots democracy movement in the United States whose mission is the defense of the Constitution and the rule of law. She encourages people to take charge of their lives, voice their concerns and enact change. A graduate of Yale and a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, Wolf was a consultant to Al Gore, during his presidential campaign, on women’s issues and social policy.
Books/Videos by Naomi Wolf available at the library:
- The Beauty Myth : How Images of Beauty are Used Against Women. New York : Perennial, 2002.
- The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot. White River Junction, Vt.: Chelsea Green Pub., 2007.
- Give me Liberty: a Handbook for American Revolutionaries. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2008.
- Great speeches. Volume 16. [DVD] . Greenwood, IN : Educational Video Group, c2004. This DVD includes Scripps College Commencement by Wolf (23 min.)
Articles by/about Naomi Wolf:
- The Porn Myth: In the end, porn doesn’t whet men’s appetites—it turns them off the real thing.by Naomi Wolf
- How I was arrested at Occupy Wall Street by Naomi Wolf
- Naomi Wolf at New York magazine
- Naomi Wolf at Project Syndicate
- Naomi Wolf at The Guardian