Library Serials Specialist
Today marks the 130th birthday of Pablo Picasso. To celebrate, here are 10 facts you don’t may not know about Picasso:
- His full name was Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso.
- After moving to Paris in 1900, Picasso was so poverty stricken that he burned many of his paintings just to keep himself warm.
- . In 1905, Picasso’s work began to pick up when Gertrude Stein exhibited his work in her apartment and it was there that he met Henri Matisse – who eventually became his friend & competitor.
- Picasso’s first art exhibit was at age 13, in the back of an umbrella store.
- Picasso made a cameo appearance in the movie Testament of Orpheus by Jean Cocteau.
- In 1944, Picasso joined the French Communist party & went on to receive the Lenin Peace Prize.
- Picasso’s varied influences motivated his different periods: blue, rose, African-influenced, Cubism, Surrealism and Classicism.
- Picasso died on April 8th 1973, at the age of 91, in his home in France while entertaining guests at dinner.
- Although Picasso’s paintings are probably the most widely known pieces of his, Pablo also dabbled in printmaking, sculpting, & ceramics.
- Picasso was a ladies man! He was married twice, had 4 children with 3 different women, & countless mistresses during his lifetime.